How to end your tenancy agreement?


  • A tenant must give the landlord or managing agent notice of intent to vacate a rental property – they can not simply leave.
  • The length of notice to be given to a landlord differs depending on whether the tenancy is a fixed term or periodic tenancy.
  • K&G Lettings Limited have provided their tenants with a letter to use to notify them of a tenants intent to vacate.


At K&G Lettings Limited many of our tenants rent our properties for several years. However, at times, we are asked by tenants how they end their tenancy. This article has been created to give the tenant the information they need to end their tenancy.

There are two situations on which a tenant may indicate to the landlord they intend to vacate their property:

1. When they do not agree with the new rent proposed by the landlord.
2. When they simply want to move out.

The next section deals with each of these situations.

Tenant does not agree with the new rent proposed by the landlord.

If the landlord has used the right detailed in the tenancy agreement to increase the rent for the rental property and the tenant does not agree to the new rent, they may give the Landlord not less than one month’s notice in writing, expiring on any day, terminating the tenancy from that day. K&G Lettings Limited have created a form which can be used to notify K&G Lettings Limited of your intent to vacate the property, see section K&G Lettings Limited Intent to Vacate Letter.

When a tenant simply wants to move out

If the tenant has decided to move out because of a change of circumstances, whether that is because they want to rent a different property or in a different area they must give adequate notice depending on their tenancy agreement.
There are two types of Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreements that K&G Lettings Limited use, these are the fixed term and the periodic agreement. All tenancies start as a fixed term, which usually last for 6 and 12 months, after which the tenancy becomes a periodic tenancy. Refer to your tenancy agreement to determine when the fixed term
tenancy agreement starts and ends.

Fixed term tenancy

Within a fixed term tenancy agreement if the Tenant wishes to terminate the tenancy, they must give not less than two months’ notice in writing expiring at any time. The tenant must pay to K&G Lettings Limited the reasonable expenses for reletting the property as well as paying the rent until a new tenant moves in.

The expenses associated with reletting a property include but are not limited to advertising, time spent viewing the property, tenant referencing and can cost several hundred pounds depending on how many times the property requires advertising before a replacement tenant is found. If a tenant manages to find a replacement tenant, the
replacement tenant must meet the strict criteria used by K&G Lettings Limited to determine whether a tenant is suitable to rent the property . This means that K&G Lettings Limited will not let properties it manages to anyone, tenants must be able to afford to let the property and are likely to look after the property.

Periodic tenancy

If within a periodic tenancy agreement (refer to tenancy agreement to determine whether in a periodic agreement) the tenant must give at least one month notice in writing ending on the last day of the tenancy period i.e. the day before the rent payment date.
A periodic tenancy begins immediately after the fixed term expires, so if the fixed term expires on the 15th of the month then the period of the tenancy begins on the 16th. If the rent is paid monthly, the last day of each period of tenancy would be 15th of each month.
Therefore the Section 21 notice would have to expire on the 15th of a month and be served a minimum of two months before the tenth of that month.

Before Moving out

Before you move out of the property K&G Lettings Limited will need to visit the property to complete the tenant check out information. This will include inspecting the property and determining a forwarding address for the tenant. It is essential a tenant provides a forwarding address to allow The Lettings team to arrange for your tenancy
deposit to be returned.

Once you have moved out

Once you have moved out of the property, don’t forget to contact your utility companies, stop your standing order mandate and update your contact details with doctors, dentists and others who have a record of your contact details.

K&G Lettings Limited Intent to Vacate Letter

To make renting from K&G Lettings Limited hassle free, we have created a form for tenants to complete when they are looking to notify us when they are looking to vacate a rental property.

Don’t Forget…

K&G Lettings Limited manages a range of rental properties across Hull and the East Riding of Yorkshire and would be happy to arrange for you to rent another property.

Renting a property managed by K&G Lettings Limited will reduce the amount of paper work you will be required to complete when renting the new property, when compared to renting a property from another organisation. Please do not hesitate to contact one of the Lettings team to discuss your requirements if this would help your situation.

If you decide to rent a property, we would be happy to arrange Contents Insurance for your news property should you require it. For more information and to get a quote visit our Tenants Insurance page.

K&G Lettings Limited will pursue this money through the County Courts if it is required, whether this is due to damage to a property or money owed for rent.